Friday, November 20, 2009

Biting my tongue........

Well the end of another work week has been successfully completed and now it’s time to kick back and relax, at least until Sunday when it starts all over again. This week has not been the best but then again it hasn’t been the worst either. Since a fellow employee has been off due to an injury, it has been up to the rest of us to cover her duties as well as our own. I really don’t mind lending a hand when needed, but when the upper management has decided to do nothing to try and find someone to cover the absentee employee’s position, that’s when I get a bit pissy. It seems that even our direct Supervisor has decided that as long as there a few of us that she can have carry the extra load then there is no need to bother. The upper management as well as the direct Supervisor are able to do their jobs and end their day by clearing their desks and walking out to enjoy an evening or weekend ahead. I had to bite my tongue this morning when I arrived at work and as soon as the Supervisor saw me, she asked me to begin to pick up the extra load of this absentee employee. This is coming from someone who was sitting at her desk and instead of helping to carry the extra workload by chipping in herself, she hands off the extra things to others. I guess maybe lending a helping hand is beneath someone when they carry the name Supervisor.

Ok, my ranting is done, at least for now.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

On Tuesday night I had my P.I.C. cover me. She said that everything went well and that was a good thing since I felt guilty enough by not being able to go in. On Wednesday night when I went in there were more than a few people who asked me if I was ok since I had missed my shift Tuesday night. In a non-selfish way it made me feel good knowing that people did notice that I wasn’t at my usual spot and that they were concerned enough to ask if I was ok. There were a few comments made by some regular weekly patrons that really lifted my spirits. I’ll spare you the details, but the long and short was that they did miss seeing me. I have to admit that I really did need to hear those comments. Everyone has those moments when they feel so tiny in this universe that they almost cease to exist. Well thanks to the concern, compliments and flattery I received on Wednesday night I know I do exist and that people do notice when I’m not around.

No comments: