Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Just checking in......

Boy did I have a huge laugh yesterday!

As you all know, instead of b****ing and complaining about my job any longer I threw in the towel and walked away. My previous job that is.  Well yesterday I was grocery shopping and ran into a couple who have bi-weekly meetings at the center. They also have a son who attends a sport rental there and well, let’s just say that I was enlightened as to the reasons I left my job. I really wasn’t surprised when they told me what the gossip was and that they never really believed what they had been told. After pulling our carts over to the side of the produce aisle I told them the “true” story of what happened. They just shook their heads in disbelieve and after adding their own thoughts of the staff that work there gave me a hug and told me that I have been missed (damn that certainly made my ego blossom!). Wait…..it gets even better!! Last night I was at my Bother-in-laws house and lo and behold, their Land Lord is also part of a sports group that uses the center on a weekly basis. He was there doing a few repairs and when he seen me he smiled and said hello. He took a coffee break and asked why I was no longer there. I told him exactly what had transpired and needless to say he was rather shocked. He also said that he would enlighten others about this to make sure everyone knew so they could put the nasty gossip to bed once and for all. He said there are a few staff members there who are not well liked within the user groups. Gee, I wonder who they could be??? (lol) It certainly made my day knowing that I was able to let people know the “real” story behind the walls of that building.

Ok so enough of the past and onto the present. I was able to survive the insane heat wave we had..lord help my hydro/electric bill! Now I know some people have very hot temps in the summer, but hells bells I’m from Canada, better known as the land of ice and snow. When the temperatures hit 109 with the heat index I was crying for snow (I’ll probably be reminded of that statement come the middle of winter.) Yes we have central air, but even then it was very uncomfortable. The green grass has turned to brown picky straw making it almost impossible to walk barefoot to the back of the yard. Watering it was just a waste of time since the ground sucked it up faster then the hose allowed the water to squirt out. The rain barrel has almost depleted its stock of water and if we don’t get rain soon the last remaining trickles will dry up like a desert water hole.
In a few weeks I’ll be hosting my annual summer family gathering. This should really make for a fun time (she says sarcastically). Most families talk about the time ole uncle so and so got so drunk or great aunt what’s-her-name complained about the taste of the potato salad. Well my family is a wee bit different. I’ll be dealing with the usual “my sickness is worse than yours, her kids need to really be disciplined or what does he/she see in him/her among a few other things. I swear that the Merriam-Webster Dictionary should apply my family photo along side the word dysfunctional. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family but in very small doses. Thank goodness summer only comes once a year! (and people wonder why I don’t have the traditional family Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners). Oh I’ll get through the day well enough, although I’ll have a secret stash of “calming potion” better known as chilled wine in a secluded area where I can sneak off for a bit. By the end of the day I’ll be smiling my wine induced smile and wishing everyone a safe journey home!

Well that’s it for now. I hope everyone is staying cool and enjoying their hazy, lazy dog days of summer!


A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken.  ~James Dent

4 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

Good luck with the family fun time. Sadly, I think I've become the old uncle who drinks a couple of beers and eats a hot dog before falling asleep in a lawn chair. So, my nieces and nephews probably dread these affairs.

JoJo said...

There was a reason I lived 3200 miles away from my family for over 20 years! lol Yes it sure has been hot. I had central air in my house in Washington State but here it's just 2 window units and a fan. Things do get a tad warm in some of the rooms but overall, it's better than having nothing at all. I keep the bedroom door shut so it stays pretty icy all day and thus easy to sleep in. But my craft room gets uncomfortable come 3 or 4 pm.

Anonymous said...

The truth always reveals itself. Keep the wine chilled and carry on. :)

Anonymous said...

I miss a good family gathering. It has been years since I saw any of my relatives. You know, I even miss the insanity, which can only be made worse by the heat. We've been dealing with 100+ degree weather here, too.