Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Letter F

F is for Friday the 13th

I’m not really superstitious, but I do know a few who are very superstitious, especially when it comes to Friday the 13th. They will not step on a crack for fear of breaking their mother’s back. Walking under a ladder is totally out of the question and if they see a black cat well hells bells to them the world is going to end. Breaking a mirror is a fate worse than death if one has this particular fear. I’m not going to throw humour into this since I’m sure many people do take this date seriously, but I will be honest and admit that I am glad that I never ran into Jason Voorhees!
 

I do love this date though, but for another reason. I have always had this thing about motorcycles and bikers and every Friday the 13th there is a bike rally in the small lake side community of Port Dover just a hop skip and jump away from me. This year the rally will be in September since that’s the first Friday the 13th of 2013 and then again in December. I have never managed to get to that rally since I have either been working or others don’t have the same “interest” in it as I do. It’s also a rally a female should not attend alone, hence my reason for not attending. It can be dangerous on many fronts especially since it is really a huge party that pretty much fills the small community streets.
 
The last Friday the 13th the rally had an estimate of 70,000 bikers in attendance all packed into a community of 63,175. I’m pretty sure it is a small party compared to the famous Sturgis Falls Rally in South Dakota, but around these here parts(trying to sound very southern) the Port Dover rally is a pretty cool event!
 
 

 
 



10 comments:

Dana Martin said...

So will you go on it this year? It sounds like a blast, but how can 70,000 bikers squeeze into that community?! It must be quite a party. If you go, have FUN! Great blog!

Dana
Waiter, drink please!


David Macaulay said...

looks rather racy for a small community that...

JoJo said...

I always tell people, 'Friday the 13th is only unlucky if you are a Knight Templar'. ;)

sue said...

you live in Ontario? I live in London. Never went to the rally have been to the beach and hotel. I had my characters go to port erie as they all ride. I giggled when read this

Unknown said...

Friday the 13ths are scary... something bad always happens to me on those days =(

Kathleen Jennette said...

Don't be afraid. I rode to Sturgis solo a couple of years ago and had a great time. Yes I am a woman and married. My husband stayed home, thats how safe it is. Everyone is very friendly at the rallys and its only a few people that can make it bad... you will sense where to go and not to go. I have made many friends and been to many rallys and feel very safe, because everyone is doing the same thing...having fun. Put your "big girl panties" on and if you need guidance, blog me. LOL! Loved that I finally found another post with motorcycles in it. Come by and visit. I'm just an old bag, 59, having fun riding and blogging.

KaTy Did at:
Life's Ride As I See It
A-Z Challenge

Mel Chesley said...

Sounds like that would be fun to attend, but you're right. Not alone if you are female! ;)

Unknown said...

I like your blog. I nominated you for a Liebster Award. If you would like to accept, come on over for the details….

http://dgwordworks.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

I would LOVE to be a part of the Sturgis run! Maybe some day!

Connie
A to Z buddy
Peanut Butter and Whine

Brett Minor said...

I've never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out.

Dropping by from A to Z. First year participating.

Brett Minor
Transformed Nonconformist